Built of handmade bricks using local clay, the
Gothic Architecture of this Church, complete
with flying buttresses, is an historical landmark...
150th for Jubilee Primitive Methodist Church
There are many buildings in Chewton that stand as reminders of the town's heritage. Some
well-known, others less so, some are public buildings and others are in private ownership.
They are all important symbols of Chewton's history.The landmark
Jubilee Primitive Methodist Church turned 150 years old on June 2, 2011
and is on the Mount Alexander Shire Heritage List and was described in part in the Metcalfe
This is an unusually early use of the Gothic style by the Primitive Methodists. The most
distinctive element of the design is the pair of flying buttresses projecting at angles
from the facade. The building is very much as described in the brief developed for the
architect by the trustees. The face brick building has a rendered base with the diagonal
buttresses at the corner of the porch rising in a gravity defying arch of brick to the square
nameplate below a rendered pointed arch opening in the apex of the gable of the main wall
of the church. Diagonal buttresses are also used on the corners of the main hall. The
buttresses and gable end wall are capped with render and rendered architraves mark out
the door and window openings.
The foundation stone was laid in February 1861 by the Warden of Castlemaine Captain
J.C.Bull. After Captain Bull laid the foundation stone he was given a copy of the "Jubilee
Volume" and other documents. Strangely the foundation stone which is located at the far
left of the entrance has no inscription.
The Jubilee Primitive Methodist Church
was officially opened on June 2 1861at a cost of 535 pounds.
Mount Alexander Mail 31/5/1861 reported:
This pretty little building will be opened for divine worship on Sunday next, on which occasion
sermons will be preached by the Rev. Messers Clarke, Pitman and Watts. The chapel is of
brick, with stone and cement cornices &c, and is in the gothic style. It is entered through a
central porch, above which are flying buttresses supporting a belfry. The curves of theses
ornamental but necessary appendages to a structure of the kind contrast pleasingly with the
square outline of the walls. The interior of the roof is a good specimen of carpentry, much
greater attention having been paid to the utile cum dulce than is usually devoted to this part
of similar edifices on the diggings. The chapel will seat between 200 and 300, and will have
cost when completed rather more than 500 pounds.
On January 1,1902 the Primitive Methodist separated from England and became
part of the Methodist Union.
On February 12,1902 the last recorded minutes of the Chewton Jubilee Primitive Methodist Church
were written down and they are now held in the archives section of the Uniting Church of Australi.a
The building was no longer used as a church and has had many uses over its 150 year
lifetime. Additional historical information
There is no religious connection between The Goldenhope Foundation and any
religious body. The above information is included for historical purposes only.
The Goldenhope Foundation is the principal tenant in this historical building. All
historical information is provided by the building's owner.